Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Tinkerbell Part II

     This is the second part of my Tinkerbell experience.....the big day....when I would take on 13.1 miles ALL AT ONCE.  When morning came, I was up and ready to go. Ate some oatmeal and a banana, downed some water and was out the door. As I left the hotel, I could see a mass of women heading towards the parking lot. This was it! Lights, music, and tons of people....all at 4:45am. I checked my bag and then headed to Corral B. They had us separated in corrals based on our finish time. My 10k time had put me in Corral B and I knew Beth was in the same Corral. So I started looking for the gal who had organized our FB meet up....having purple hair, I was hoping she wouldn't be that hard to find. I was right! I bumped right into her. So we waited together for the countdown....the National Anthem was beautiful, sung by female from the Navy, I believe. Beautiful voice and just as always, it brought tears to my eyes. As we waited, along with 12, 000 other women (and 920 women), I could hardly believe I was about to run 13.1 miles....by choice!!
     Then, it was time to go and we were off. It was slow going at first, since several thousand women packed in a small space isn't conducive to being speed racer. Which was probably a good thing since I tend to go out a bit too fast. We headed into up the street and around the north side of Disneyland. I was excited as I knew as soon as we came down Harbor Blvd, it was time to head into the parks! Running down Main Street toward the castle as the sun came was awesome. I wish I had taken some photos but it was difficult to run and take photos at the same time.  I remember approaching the castle and getting goosebumps.  We ran through the opening of the castle like little girls and I don't remember much else for several miles after that, except that I was enjoying the fact Disneyland was filled with thousands of women runners (okay, and 920 men!) doing something remarkable.  We exited out of the park and it was onto Downtown Disney, where I was looking forward to seeing my husband for the first time since leaving him in the hotel room earlier that morning.  It was great...there were hundreds of people lining the shops of Downtown Disney with noisemakers, cowbells, and signs.  Lots of signs...my favorite would have to be the one that said "Worst Parade Ever".  That cracked me up and kept me smiling for a few more miles.  I looked up ahead and saw my husband in the ChEAR zone (it was a section for family members cheering their loved ones on).  As we left Downtown Disney and headed into the streets of Anaheim, I was worried there wouldn't be enough entertainment to keep me going.  I didn't have to worry about that long.  There were so many people from the city of Anaheim there to cheer us on!  I loved it; I couldn't stop grinning.  The posters and signs were great.  I saw "You're going the wrong way", "Run faster, your drink is getting warm" "Quitting is for smoking, keep running", and various other signs.  My favorite came at the end, right as we were headed up to around Mile 11, I think...it said "If you haven't pooped your pants, you've already won".  Hahahaha! 
     The Red Hat Society Ladies were amazing....they lined an entire block and I think there were about 300 of them.  I remember running over and getting high fives from them, thanking them for coming out to support us.  There were high school bands, cheerleaders, hula dancers, an Army rock band, and various others forms of entertainment.  Then there were all the others runners....some in costume, some in walking casts....RUNNING.  Yes, running.  Her words were "shhhhh...don't tell my doctor".  She was my hero....a running rockstar, if you will.  There were the two blind runners.  I was so inspired by this race and my running buddy was inspiring as well....every time we passed a TNT (the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society folks who raised over a million dollars), she would give a shout out to them "Go Team!".  Having a family member with leukemia, it means a lot to me to have people like her out there running their little butts off to raise money for the LLS. 
     Around Mile 6, I started to feel something I had never experienced before.  Dare I say it....a blister?!?  I was like, WTH?  I said to Beth, "I think I'm getting a blister...or two...or three".  She asked if I wanted to stop and tape anything up but I thought "nah, that will take too much time.  We've only got 7 more miles...let's go!".  Well, let me tell you....I was in some kind of pain.  Every time I put my foot down, I wanted to scream.  I've never had to run while in pain before so it was a new experience.  By Mile 10 or so, I was thinking "what the hell did I get myself into?  Why the f*ck am I doing this???".  Then I saw it.  A lady standing quietly by herself amidst the crowds holding a simple sign.  The sign read "My  happy thought is my mom".  I almost lost it.  That sign was for me.  No doubt about it.  That was my mother, letting me know I could go on and I would go on.  That I would finish and I would LIKE IT.  I said a silent thank you to God and to my mother, nodded to the lady and continued on.  Once we hit California Adventure, it became easier because I knew we only had about a 5k distance to and that was a piece of cake...lol.  But I have to say...that last 1/2 mile or so was the hardest.  My legs felt like lead and I wanted to just crawl.  It was all I could do to pick up the pace to something similar to running and get across that finish line.  But I did....crossed as the race clock ticked off 2:51:16.  Beth and I crossed the finish line together, just as she had told me earlier "we start together, we finish together".  We had done it.  And I had completed a freakin' half marathon.  The girl who told her coach 20 years ago she wasn't a runner and would never be able to run a lap around the track just ran 13.1 miles in a ROW.  And didn't die.  Awesome. 
     I found my mom's cousin, Matt and seeing him made me feel very connected to my mom.  It was like having a piece of her there.  Then my husband found me and after a few pictures and getting some snacks, all I could think about was getting back to the hotel room and getting my shoes off (to take a look at the monster blister).  Little did I know that I would be facing torture, aka the ice bath, once we got back to the hotel room!  But I got through the ice bath, we took off to the parks for a day of rides, ice cream, and feeling like kids for the day.  Slept like a freakin' log that night and then went to California Adventure the next day.  I am already planning on returning to Tinkerbell for the next 4 year (to become what's called a Legacy Runner...competing 5 years in a row, starting with the inaugural race).  It was an amazing experience and I know now that as long as I believe in myself, trust in God, and have faith....all things are possible.  I went from saying "I can't" to "I will".  Tinkerbell, I will see you in 2013.  And mom, I know you will be there by my side, cheering me on.  I love you.  Thank you for believing in me, even when you are no longer on this Earth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment