Wednesday, August 5, 2015

....and almost 2 years later.....

I stink at updating this thing.  Surprising since I am so intimate with my computer and being online.  My last post was September 2013 and I believe I was getting ready to embark on marathon training in preparation for CIM 2013.  That never happened.  Ended up with an Achilles injury around November and smartly withdrew from the race. Decided to change coaches and ended up with an online coach who has enriched my life far beyond just running.  I DID complete a marathon last year in Portland but it didn't go as planned (does life ever?).  Just prior to the race, I had a brief relapse in sobriety after changing jobs in an effort to chase after more money and "prestige". That found me isolating from those I had grown close to, skipping meetings, hiding from my sponsor, working nights with little sleep during the day and struggling through marathon training as a result.  I ran the marathon but was not "present" for that experience.

I'm blessed to say I am back on track and looking forward to another chance in Portland - to experience a marathon the way it should be experienced.  I won't be running for myself this time. I will be running Portland for Pops.  My father-in-law passed away after a courageous and lengthy battle with leukemia so I will be running in his honor and memory. He approached life much like one should approach a marathon - with tenacious courage and strength even through adversity.  He "ran the mile he was in" and looked at what needed to be done at that time, not worrying and focused on what was down the road. The loss of my father-in-law will be felt deeply by all those who loved and knew him.

Life is meant to be lived fully and completely.  We aren't promised tomorrow and "later" may never come.  I am going to work at keeping this blog updated with my training and tribulations in life - there are things around the bend for which I am excited. Not just to add that sticker to my car (okay, I am guilty of that as well) but to face my fear and "do it anyway".  My conversations with my Higher Power are deepest in those moments when I'm training or in the middle of a difficult race - where I want to quit so badly - where I think I can't and I'm not good enough. I am able to look inside myself and realize I have an amazing God who is there along for the ride. I'm not an overly religious person and prefer to think in terms of spirituality.  But I do have a favorite verse from the Bible that will become my mantra over the next year or so.  Hebrews 12:1 - And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. My father in law did that. He ran his race that God set out for him and did so with quiet dignity and strength. My intention is to honor that strength and bring him along for my miles over the next year, tackling two marathons and a half Ironman.  I welcome the company on this journey, both from my father-in-law's spirit and from my Higher Power. Life is meant to be lived. Your dreams are out there, waiting for you - go get 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment